The Mill at Newton Lower Falls
The Mill at Newton Lower Falls was built on the Charles River in 1790, to function as the C.F. Crehore paper mill. In the original building, some of the first paper used to print US currency was created, along with a variety of other paper products. After many years of business, the paper production industry started booming in Western Massachusetts and parts of Maine, which caused closures in the Newton Lower Falls area as it was not able to meet demand.
In 1942, Arthur Gregorian purchased the mill building, and turned it into Gregorian Oriental Rugs. Over the years since taking over the space, the Gregorian team has added many new additions onto the original mill building. Today, it covers more than 40,000 square feet of gallery space, displaying thousands of oriental rugs, and locally handmade furniture by Adriance and Dovetail.
In early 2014, Gregorian welcomed two new brands into the Mill building – Didriks and Local Root – a duo of shops offering tabletop and home decor items, cooking tools and kitchen accessories. Notable new additions to the combined Didriks and Local showroom, located on the lower level of the main Gregorian space, include one-of-a-kind iittala ‘shop within a shop’, an impressive Rosle wall of German kitchen utensils, and an expansive collection of Barlow Tyrie outdoor furniture. With the addition of these two brands, the Mill quickly became a whole-home shopping destination for consumers seeking decor and furniture items for any and all parts of their home.
The mill is home to a myriad of antiques and notable pieces. In one room, displayed high up on the original mill building wood beams, are two antique carriages that were used in the Gregorian family many years ago. In another room, this life-size paper mache horse, built to be a saddle-makers model. There’s also an emblematic Adriance Furnituremakers sign, the giant larger-than-life chair used in the movie Big.